Author Topic: Johan Defarfalla - wywiad  (Read 27201 times)

0 Members i 1 Go¶æ przegl±da ten w±tek.

vertigo

• Global Moderathor
Johan Defarfalla - wywiad
« on: 2007-02-17, 14:38:28 »
Dla niezorientowanych, na oficjalnym forum ukaza³ siê wywiad z Johanem Defarfalla. Jest ca³kiem fajny wiêc pozwolê sobie go tu wkleiæ ;]

First of all, please tell us about your musical activities.

-At what age did you start playing?
I started playing when I was 9 years old in a punkband that I started with a couple of friends. First concert that same year and then concerts as often as possible.

-Did you ever play any other instruments?
My main instrument has always been the bassguitar but I also sing, play guitar and some piano.

-Did you ever aspire to be a professional musician?
Of course. I’ve been professional musician off and on and played in a lot of different projects and bands.

-What are your influences as a musician? What were they when you played in Opeth?
As a bassplayer; No 1. JS Bach, the one and only, the cello suites are incredible as well as the rest of his work. No 2. Jaco Pastorius, true musician. No 3. Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, just got to love him, lot of energy. No4, 5, 6 etc Les Claypool, Jonas Hellborg, John Patitucci, Ola Johansson and many more.
As a musician; No 1 JS Bach, who else? No 2 Shostakovich. And many more

Then, in 1991, you were joining Opeth. We heard from David they needed a bassplayer and guitarist for the gig in Gothenburg and you and Kim Petterson joined them. We know you played in a band called Crimson Cat at the time.

-Did you ever release anything with that band?
Yes, we released two tapes, 1989 and 1990.

-Was it a sleeze metal band, as someone said?
Yes it was.

Some sources say you weren't really into metal at the time, so what's the story about that?
I’ve always played in different bands and projects at the same time regardless to genre: Rock, metal, jazz, funk etc. I understand that this can be confusing but its only music to me.

-Was it hard to learn their songs in such a short time, did you think it was complex material?
It wasn’t complex but it had some strange harmonics. It was hard to remember it all.

-What do you remember about the Gothenburg gig?
Me and Kim missed our flight from Stockholm and had to take my car to Gothenburg more than 500 km. It is not an understatement to say that we were speeding to get there in time. It was a funny gig. Honestly, I didn’t take it serious. In flames played as well and they were great!

After that gig you left the band again, until you joined again in 1994 to record “Orchid”, first as a session musician, later as a full member again.

-Can you tell us anything about why you left, and came back later?
I did one session gig in Gothenburg with Opeth and I didn’t want to join them at that time. I was playing in other much more promising bands at that time.

-What did you think of Opeth at the time? Did you feel they were anything special?
They couldn’t play yet, but there were something special in the sound.

-What do you remember of the Unisound sessions and Dan? Did you have fun doing the project?
I had quite fun, but I had preferred another music studio. I wasn’t satisfied with the sound on the production.

The next chapter was the album “Morningrise”.

-How much input did you have exactly for this album? Rumor has it Mikael wrote all basslines. Is that true?
To start with, Mikael didn’t write any basslines at all! He wrote most of the riffs( not all) and then Anders and I created the rhythm with the bass and drums, often altering the riffs.

-Were you satisfied with the albums in general?
I like the material but not the production.

-Did you like your basslines?
Of course! I wouldn’t written them that way otherwise.

Which is your favorite album, favorite song or favorite bassline?
My favourite album is Morningrise. My favourite song is To bid you farewell and I don’t have any favourite basslines.

The basssound was quite upfront, which is not very common in the metal world. Are you proud of that?
I like the bass to be upfront, it's my style.

For a lot of people “Morningrise” is the best record ever, (your bass playing being a big part of that for some). Did you ever feel you made a contribution to metal or music in general?
It is for each individual to decide, I just made music.

-Bass geek question  What is that Arvidson bass you played on “Morningrise”? For which tracks did you use them, if you can remember? I tried finding info about it, but was never able to.
Arne Arvidsson is an instrument builder in Stockholm. In this case it’s a fourstring fretless bass. I used it on al the songs which include fretless bass on the Orchid album.

After “Morningrise” you did a European Tour.

-Was it the only time you ever played internationally?
No It wasn’t, I’ve been playing in other bands outside of Sweden.

How did you feel about that (any rock star aspirations there?  ). In your opinion, how was the response at the time?
It was quite fun but the production(manager) could have been better. Great audience practically everywhere. In Rome the audience was incredible, my best gig ever!

-Do you remember any cool gigging stories from that period? There are some video bootlegs for the UK shows; they are quite funny to watch! Lee Barrett already told us some hilarious stuff, do you remember anything specific?
We had a really good time every time we went to UK and Lee Barrett is a great dude.

Then you and the band split.

-You mentioned your split with the band had to do with some conflicts, and also musical differences. What musical direction would you have taken Opeth into, if it was your call?
I would have created a much tighter band with a better production and less growl song.

-You also said you were more into Jazz-Fusion. Do you mean that in general or also in a metal context? There were players in those days already really blending Jazz and metal, like Tony Choy for Atheist and even more Sean Malone on Cynic's album Focus. Did you ever hear that stuff?
I have never heard them. I'm more into early Jazz-Fusion, but I'm sure there are a lot of skilled bassplayers that plays a more modern type of Fusion.

Since those days, Opeth have come a long way. Especially since 2005 they are getting more and more famous, winning numerous awards both in Sweden and internationally.

-Did you keep track of the band? Do you like their newer albums, what do you think of Martin Mendez' bass playing?
I haven’t kept track on Opeth and haven't heard any of there newer albums. I haven't heard Martin so I don't have any opinion at all.

-What have your own musical activities been since your Opeth days? Do you still play? Did you record or release any other stuff we could check out?
I've been playing only non-commercial since 1997.

So finally, on the forum people said they think it's great you seem to be doing so well on a personal level. It looks like you have got some good things going there! So I wish to thank you a lot for taking the time to answer this and wish you a lot more happiness in the rest of your life!

Thank you very much. It was a pleasure. Take care and play as often as you can.
Johan De Farfalla

i komentarz Akerfeldta:

Quite interesting for me too. I haven't talked to him since we fired him 10 years ago.

I grant Johan that he was definately a great bass player, but he never wrote music for Opeth, never "altered" riffs as far as I remember. And he clearly forgets that I indeed did write some bass lines and co-wrote some with him. However, the rumour that I wrote all the bass lines is not true. I definately can't remember having said anything like that. Most of the time I simply showed him the riff and we took it from there. Credit's given where credit's due, as they say....

Johan always had a wierd attitude towards the rest of us, almost like he saw himself "above" us musically as he'd been playing for longer, he was older and he had more experience with bands etc. That is one of the reasons why we never got along that great. He was never into death metal at all. He was into fusion music, some classical and I guess general rock music.

Having said that, the years with him was memorable and I never regretted inviting him into the band. He was part of a special era of the band that will never happen again, and his bass playing greatly contributed to those 2 records.

As I said before...quite interesting.
Cheers
Mike

<link do ca³ego w±tku>

buckethead

• Ñ Ñ Ñ
Odp: Johan Defarfalla - wywiad
« Reply #1 on: 2007-02-17, 15:51:43 »
Wielkie dziêki za wklejenie wywiadu :mrgreen: Có¿, widocznie nawet na p³aszczy¼nie muzycznej DeFarfalla nie móg³ dogadaæ siê z reszt±, wiêc skoñczy³o siê tak jak mia³o skoñczyæ :( Tak czy inaczej gra niesamowicie i rzeczywi¶cie mo¿e siê nawet wydawaæ, ¿e np. na "Morningrise" mia³ o wiele wiêksze umiejêtno¶ci ni¿ reszta zespo³u :P

Luksor

• Mourner
  • Phantom of the Opera
    • Whiteslope
« Reply #2 on: 2007-02-17, 17:25:09 »
No to jeszcze raz zajrzyjmy do miesiêcznika "Morbid Noizz" z 1998 roku i oddajmy w tej sprawie g³os Mikaelowi:
Z Johanem by³o coraz trudniej siê dogadaæ. Wci±¿ ¿±da³ pieniêdzy za muzykê, której nigdy nie pisa³. Próbowa³ byæ bossem w zespole, chocia¿ nie wnosi³ do niego absolutnie nic warto¶ciowego. On nie pisa³ nawet swoich partii basu, ja robi³em to za niego! W zwi±zku z tym musia³ odej¶æ.

Ja tam Mike’owi wierzê, bo po odej¶ciu DeFarfalli nic siê praktycznie zmieni³o, a zespó³ kontynuowa³ swoj± drogê. ¯e mo¿e Johan jako instrumentalista by³ kreatywny, to nie powiem... ale bez niego band nie zacz±³ nagle graæ bezdusznej i bezsensownej nawalanki ani innych pierdó³...

BTW: jak siê w³a¶ciwie pisze, De Farfalla czy Defarfalla?
Seven milestones...
Under a watching autumn eye
Contorted trees are spreading forth
The message of the wind

vertigo

• Global Moderathor
« Reply #3 on: 2007-02-17, 20:13:09 »
De Farfalla ;]

Jak to praktycznie nic siê nie zmieni³o? Partie basu siê zmieni³y i to diametralnie. Poza tym zespó³ w³a¶ciwie osi±gn±³ to czego od niego oczekiwa³: "I would have created a much tighter band with a better production and less growl song.' Dziwi mnie tylko, ¿e De Farfalla jest takm ignorantem je¿eli chodzi o metal ;]

Z reszt± z now± fryzur± wcze¶niej czy pó¼niej by wylecia³ :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: 2007-02-17, 20:18:31 by vertigo »

Luksor

• Mourner
  • Phantom of the Opera
    • Whiteslope
« Reply #4 on: 2007-02-17, 22:33:18 »
Chodzi mi o zmiany muzyki jako ca³o¶ci, a nie detali. W takim sensie jak piszesz vertigo, to faktycznie wiele, ale nie tylko za spraw± De Farfalli. Partie bêbnów te¿ siê zmieni³y, bo odszed³ Nordin i to s³ychaæ od MAYH mo¿e nawet bardziej ni¿ bas. Jak odchodzi jaki¶ muzyk o pewnym rozpoznawalnym stylu gry i technice, to takie detale zawsze ulegaj± zmianie. Ale nie nast±pi³y takie diametralne zmiany w stylistyce, jakie zasz³y np. w Genesis, gdy odszed³ najpierw Gabriel, a potem Hackett i zespó³ ca³kowicie odmieni³ swoje oblicze.

Od BWP zmieni³a siê tak¿e jako¶æ produkcji i zespó³ osi±gn±³ klarowne, zawodowe i nowoczesne brzmienie bez zmiany muzyków (choæ mam ogromny sentyment do starszych p³yt, które brzmi± jakby powsta³y na pocz±tku lat 70.), a jednak to ci±gle jest ten sam Opeth. Natomiast gorzej bêdzie, gdy Mikael zmieni podej¶cie do komponowania oraz tworzenia struktury kompozycji i pójdzie w kierunku TGC’owym (o czym pisali¶my tu w innym w±tku), to bêdzie prawdziwa rewolucja i nie wiem czy bêdzie mi siê chcia³o ich dalej s³uchaæ. A tak siê sta³o np. z Metallic± na "St.Anger", której najzwyczajniej w ¶wiecie nie mogê ¶cierpieæ.
Seven milestones...
The message of the wind

minder

• Master of Disaster
  • Administrator
  • Wokó³ sami lunatycy...
    • mindr.
« Reply #5 on: 2007-02-19, 23:32:42 »
No cóż, Mike już zmienił sposób komponowania na MAYH ;) Różnica między nią a poprzedniczką jest jak dla mnie kolosalna i na lepsze :P Jeśli podobny krok na przód miałby nastąpić teraz, to wcale bym się nie obraził ;]

A poza tym nie mogę przejść obojętnie obok ignorancji De Farfalli. Jak basista mający się za boskiego muzyka i w ogóle fan nurtu fusion może nie znać Malone'a?! W głowie się nie mieści!

Tak w ogóle odniosłem wrażenie, że gość ma podejście "klękajcie narody, boski basista przemawia".
True Pagan Winter Crew

ozeh

• Mourner
    • OZEH - aplikacje w ¶rodowisku Microsoft Excel
« Reply #6 on: 2007-02-19, 23:49:26 »
Czytaj±c ten wywiad odnios³em podobne wra¿enie jak minder. Jako¶ zupe³nie inaczej sobie wyobra¿a³em De Farfallê. Tak czy inaczej basswork na Morningrise jest ¶wietny! :mrgreen:
"Patrzcie, jeszcze jeden anio³. Masz, ³ap harfê i zacznij ¶piewaæ hosanny."

Kekkai

• Mourner
  • kota
    • katie's wonders
« Reply #7 on: 2007-02-21, 18:40:04 »
Taa wali mnie twórczo¶æ Opeth, nawet nie by³em ciekaw co grali... aa istniej± jeszcze? no, dobrze wiedzieæ...
Ostatnio nie gram komerchy...
Co za kole¶ Oo

Milad

• Bez gwiazdy nie ma jazdy :V
    • City of Mirrors
« Reply #8 on: 2007-02-23, 12:18:18 »
Zdziwi³ mnie De Farfalla. Uwielbiam jego grê na frettlessie na Morningrise i Orchid, widaæ kim sie inspirowa³ - Pastorius. Dodam, ze partie basu nie s± tam dziecinnie proste. The Drapery Falls uczy³em sie graæ 20 minut na basie, a Advent godzinê i 20 minut......... i to w dodatku nie na frettlessie. Ponadto zauwa¿y³em, ¿e dziwne ma kole¶ podej¶cie do opeth. Ja osobi¶cie na jego miejscu chcia³bym wiedzieæ co siê dzieje z kapel±, któr± opusci³em. Widaæ trochê lekcewa¿±ce podej¶cie do Opeth, jakby by³ wci±¿ sk³ócony z Mike`m  i Peterem.
No way in from the outside, no way out from within.

Blek

• KURTULA
« Reply #9 on: 2007-02-23, 14:45:03 »
Albo po prostu udaje, ¿e ich olewa, ¿e niby go nie interesuj±.

Luksor

• Mourner
  • Phantom of the Opera
    • Whiteslope
« Reply #10 on: 2007-02-23, 14:49:20 »
Albo po prostu udaje, ¿e ich olewa...
...bo ¿al mu dupsko ¶ciska.
« Last Edit: 2007-02-23, 14:50:59 by Jacek »
Seven milestones...
The message of the wind

Milad

• Bez gwiazdy nie ma jazdy :V
    • City of Mirrors
« Reply #11 on: 2007-02-23, 18:04:43 »
wstyd mu, ze by³ takim pesymist± i odszed³ z ich zespo³u, mysl±c, ze te kapele w których gra co¶ powa¿nego mu przynios±. Teraz ¿a³uje, ¿e nie zosta³ wtedy ;]
No way in from the outside, no way out from within.

djdioda

• Nazgul ortografii
  • Administrator
  • Southpole chainsaw massacre
« Reply #12 on: 2007-02-23, 18:20:04 »
To by siê zgadza³o - mo¿liwe, ¿e z tych samych powodów przypisuje sobie nies³usznie zas³ugi ;)

minder

• Master of Disaster
  • Administrator
  • Wokó³ sami lunatycy...
    • mindr.
« Reply #13 on: 2007-02-24, 09:31:34 »
Krótko mówi±c zakompleksione ma³e dziecko. Coraz wiêcej takich na ¶wiecie :P
True Pagan Winter Crew